Strategy Case Study
Award Winning Giving Tuesday Campaign
#GivingTuesday is a movement that has become a global phenomenon. Started in 2012 by a United Nations foundation based in the U.S. and coming to Canada in 2013, #GivingTuesday is a day marked for giving and volunteering, taking place each year following Black Friday and Cyber Monday (US).
In 2016, the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka worked with Digital Giants to leverage GivingTuesday for the launch of its community campaign. Digital Giants recommend empowering a small select group of Social Media Instigators as a way to build a foundation for future campaigns. By leveraging peer-to-peer networks and appeals, the campaign not only sparked conversations and shares, it helped kick start year-end appeals.
Not for Profit
- Social Media Instigators: Get 50 staff and/or volunteers to be social media instigators, promoting #GivingTuesday.
- Campaign Financial goal: To raise $6,500 in one day, representing 1% of our Annual Campaign goal
- Simplify the donation process by making access less than 2 clicks and providing pre-selected amounts.
How we got there
- Used gshift Kontexturls to give each staff member a unique URL for each social media channel
- Profile images, cover/header images, and social media posts for all platforms
- Text and images with unique URLs for each instigator to track which instigator raised the most money
- Email/private message scripts for personal asks
- How-to videos addressing the 5-W’s for the social instigators
- Dedicated Landing Page aligned with the campaign with preset donation amounts
- The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka raised more than $12,000 in pledged and cash gifts because of the GivingTuesday 72 hour campaign
- More than 200 staff supported GivingTuesday – 4 times the initial goal set out in the strategic planning process
- Award Winning Digital and Media Engagement Campaign, by the North American YMCA Developers Organization (NAYDO) in 2017.
- ROI was 540%
Other Recent Projects
We can’t wait to hear from you about your most pressing digital hurdle, and start brainstorming how we can help! Fill out the form or book a strategy session with us to jump-start your digital marketing.